Monday, November 01, 2010

One Year and 41 Days with the MacBook Air - PCWorld

When it comes to laptops and desktops, nothing matters to me more than reliability. While I may be directly or indirectly responsible for thousands of servers, desktops, and laptops, the one that matters the most is the one I'm using to manage all of those resources. My laptop is my gateway to everything I do. It must be absolutely reliable and available constantly.

I'm currently on my third MacBook Air. I bought (and reviewed) the first one back in February 2008 when it was released; I then upgraded to the next iteration in June 2009. Last week, the new MacBook Air arrived, and I wasted no time in putting it to good use.

[ See Paul Venezia's review of the latest MacBook Air. | Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 is a huge step forward from Office 2008. See "InfoWorld review: Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 gains ground." | Stay abreast of key Apple technologies in our Technology: Apple newsletter.]

Over the past few years, I've used some model of MacBook Air for probably 85 percent of my computing needs: email, browsing, more xterms than you can shake a stick at, writing, reading, creating, and consuming. With the exception of my review of the iPad (which was written on the iPad), every word I've written for publication in the past 2.5 years has been written on a MacBook Air. I've logged over 100,000 miles with them and carried them all over the globe.

They've never let me down.

Here's a quick history of the punishment I afflicted on my previous Air. I purchased it in early June 2009, and until last week, I used it constantly. I tend to run a ton of processes that have connections to other computers: xterms with ssh sessions to dozens of servers, RDP sessions, and so forth. I don't like to break and recreate those connections, so I just leave the laptop open and running with the screen blank if I'm not actively using the system. I also never shut down and reboot only when required by an OS update.

According to my calculations, in the 406 days I had my previous Air in full-time use, it was on and running for over 9,500 hours. That's 23.5 hours a day, every day of that time period. I did not have a single problem with the unit the entire time.

Would you recommend this story? YES3 NO1

Here is a review of the Macbook air by a technologist who notes in 406 days of use having the computer up and running for 23.5 hours a day, and not having a single problem with it for that entire time.

Here is the problem with healthcare. Having spent the last 8 years seeing patients paperlessly, I discovered that one of the major roadblocks for physicians implementing health IT is the device. Major hospital institutions are making massive hardware purchases of pc based computers.

I have the same great experience with my macbook pro and ipad and iphone. It's time for the next generation of health IT to lead the next generation of physicians to meaningful use, but with an ecommerce twist.

To Your Best Health,

The Personal Medicine Team

Posted via email from Personal Medicine

No comments: